Meet Dr. Pam Cuevas, Cat Vet extraordinaire!
1. What do you do for Magnificent Mutts Rescue?
I do most of the exams on the cats that are accepted into the rescue. If
there are medical needs, I provide those. If a cat or kitten in foster
becomes ill, my staff and I provide the care needed. La Grange Park Cat
clinic starts all vaccine programs for the cats in foster. Lastly, we provide a
free adoption exam for the new adopter so that all of the health issues for
a smoother transition from foster and hopefully a long life.
2. What was the last good movie you watched or book you read?
Uhm…Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery? It was a really neat study on
the genetics of cats. I do not go to movies often, but I did check “61*” out
of the library. I am a baseball fan.
3. If you could take a vacation to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Hiking in the Grampians of Scotland
4. Why is helping animals important to you? Why did you choose a career that helps animals?
Animals deserve to have loving homes that know how to give them a long
life. It was a mixture of wanting to help people (see below) and a need to
know more about how nutrition can help the pets in our homes.
5. Do you have any fun summer plans, such as a vacation?
I plan to go visit my father in Kansas over July 4th weekend. I want to cook
for him, like he did for Mom and I while I was growing up.
6. Why would you tell somebody that they should adopt a pet?
Pets help keep us healthier in so many ways. The main one is that pets help us be happier and less stressed. They give us a reason to go on, to get well, and help balance our stress levels. Most people are able to reduce their stress levels petting a dog or a cat. I have found that bad days at work get much better when you have a purring cat in your lap.
7. Where did you grow up?
Derby, KS, which is a small town in south-central Kansas. I also spent
summers on a farm in southeast Kansas
8. Do you have any hobbies? What do you do for fun in your spare time?
Well, I do needlework of various types, but do not get much time to do them
What do you do for fun in your spare time? Spare time, what is that?
Mostly I do various cardiovascular and strength workout, and if I can fit it
in, I swim.