Meet Jackie Karstens
1. How did you get involved with Magnificent Mutts and what type of volunteer work do you do for the rescue?
My husband and I rescued our first dog together from MagMutts back in 2010. Little Ann will be 7 years old this summer! I’ve been interested in getting involved for awhile (mostly to curb my desire to adopt a million dogs) but put it off because I was so busy. I finally decided life is always crazy so it was time to just jump in!
I’m currently helping obtain the spay and neuter documentation from adopters as well as supporting at adoption events.
2. Are you a cat or dog person?
Dog person for sure. I’m allergic to cats but somehow ended up with pup with a cat-like personality.
3. Do you have a favorite breed?
I love all medium to large breeds. I’m partial to German Shepherd Dogs as I grew up with them. In addition to Ann our Magnificent Terrier Mix we also have a 2 year old GSD, Heidi that we “adopted” from a family member. She’s bright and adventurous and is always ready to work.
4. Why would you recommend someone adopt a cat or dog?
I think the question is WHY NOT? There are so many dogs in the world waiting to find their special person to enjoy life with. Why couldn’t it be you?
5. What kind of work or hobbies do you do outside of rescue?
By day I’m a school social worker in an elementary school. It’s a tough job that has a lot of rewarding moments. By night, I am a dog mom and wife to my fabulous husband Zach. I enjoy working out, browsing real estate websites for houses we can’t afford, enjoying a craft brew or wine and planning our next vacation getaway.
6. Do you have a favorite food?
Pasta, Pizza and BBQ Ribs.
7. What is your favorite song, type of music or band?
I like most everything on the radio but I do love Lady GaGa.
8. What is your most embarrassing moment?
Once in middle school I actually walked out of a bathroom with toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe. I really only thought that happened in the movies!
9. Do you have a favorite vacation spot or most favorite vacation memory?
Oh I have so many! I’ve been vey lucky to have travelled the world quite a bit but I still have so many more places to go! I love Europe and the time I spent living there in college. I am looking forward to getting back there soon.
10. What’s your favorite movie or TV show?
I have a guilty pleasure for watching all the silly Real Houswives franchise. New York and New Jersey are my favorite!