Meet Katie Kopchok
1. What inspired you to start volunteering with Magnificent Mutts & Meows?
I brought my then-2 year old into the pet store often, to look at the animals. We always seemed to see the same volunteer and she eventually convinced me to try volunteering. I am so glad I gave it a try, since it’s been over 8 years now!
2. What is your favorite thing about being a volunteer here?
Seeing the all of the cats get good homes, especially the special needs cats. It’s great to know there are such caring people out there. I also love meeting the other volunteers, who put their time and energy into helping homeless animals.
3. Why would you recommend someone volunteer in rescue?
Life can get stressful but helping those who need it, is very rewarding!! The animals depend on us to care for them and bring them joy until they find a forever family – if we don’t help them, who will? We make a difference every day – come join us!
I especially recommend parents volunteer with their children. It’s easy to fill our days with expensive and stressful activities. But volunteering is free, peaceful and teaches so much to our kids. Make the time… it’s worth it.
4. Describe a memorable moment you had while volunteering.
There was a very shy cat who would not leave her cage, with a heart shaped spot on her nose. My daughter was small enough to sit in the cat’s cage and quietly talk to/pet her. Those two had a special bond. It was a bittersweet day when that cat was adopted.
5. Are you a cat or dog person?
6. Do you have a favorite breed?
7. Why would you recommend someone adopt?
It saves a life, and fills your life with more love. Win-win!
8. What kind of work or hobbies do you do outside of rescue?
I enjoy life with my kids, homeschool my daughter, read, knit, and cook (sometimes).
9. Do you have a favorite food?
Sweet potatoes are meant to be savory! I will never understand making them into a dessert 🙂
10. Do you have a favorite vacation spot or most favorite vacation memory?
Maui and Iceland were both AMAZING.
11. What was the last movie you watched? (or what is your favorite TV show and why?)
I love watching The Good Place! And Clue The Movie is my favorite by far… I’m not sure how I feel about the news that they will be re-making it.