Meet Alina Ortega
1. What inspired you to start volunteering with Magnificent Mutts & Meows?
I have always been passionate about animals and for many years worked animal emergency but I wanted to contribute more to animal rescue. I decided to become a foster mom and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
2. What is your favorite thing about being a volunteer here?
Honestly, volunteering at Magnificent Mutts & Meows has afforded me the opportunity to meet some really amazing people.
3. Why would you recommend someone volunteer in rescue?
Volunteering in rescue is literally life changing not only for the people but the animals that benefit from it. It brings me joy to know that for each dog I foster, a life is saved and that is truly rewarding.
4. Describe a memorable moment you had while volunteering.
There are many memorable moments but one that stands out to me is when I went to pick up a senior dog at Chicago Animal Control. I remember watching the worker carry out this dog who was too weak and skinny to even walk and I remember taking one look at him and sobbing. He came home with me and after several weeks of being nursed back to health he was healthy enough to be adopted. He was the first foster I genuinely cried over when he got adopted because I was so happy for him. To this day I still get updates from his mom and he is doing great!
5. Are you a cat or dog person?
Even though I have cats, I am most definitely a dog person! What’s one more… right Linda?
6. Do you have a favorite breed?
Labrador Retriever is hands down my favorite breed followed by Doberman and Pitties.
7. Why would you recommend someone adopt?
I recommend adoption because there are so many absolutely fantastic animals out there just waiting for their forever family!
8. What kind of work or hobbies do you do outside of rescue?
Outside of rescue I teach middle school reading and when I am not working, I just enjoy hanging out with my family and my dogs.
9. Do you have a favorite food?
Tacos! ALL THE TACOS!